Thursday, December 24, 2009

What is your favorite recipe to cook when you have guest/family over?

I do not cook too much but when I do I cook Spanish and Italian food pretty good. Anyone have any suggestions/recipes? I'd like to invite my family and some friends over this weekend.What is your favorite recipe to cook when you have guest/family over?
im italian but make a spanish meal for my puerto rican husband


i make pernil (roast pork), arron gandules and fried plantains i got the recipes from foodtv.com/tyler florance search pernil you will see





its a great recipe


i double it for a crowdWhat is your favorite recipe to cook when you have guest/family over?
When we have guests I like to cook simple food that can be prepared ahead of time and that people can help themselves to.





Sometimes I just have an assortment of things set out, for example, warm rolls, cheeses, devilled eggs, tapenade, shrimp, green salad, smoked fish, cold cuts, that sort of thing.





Or, I make a beef stew with mashed potatoes and peas which is always popular.





For dessert sometimes I'll make a cheesecake, or individual molten chocolate cakes, but often we'll just have ice cream and fruit.





When we were newly married we, and our friends, used to put on really elaborate meals but that meant that the hosts spent a lot of the time in the kitchen and the food didn't always turn out that well anyway. Now I leave the complicated stuff to restaurant professionals and concentrate enjoying our guests' company.
Green Rice





I came across the original of this recipe after our daughter came into our lives. I've since greatly modified it and it too has become a favorite. This is the modified version, and I give credit to Betty Crocker for inspiring me with the original version.





3 cups cooked white rice


1 cup cooked chopped spinach


1/4 cup dry parsley


2 eggs well beaten


3/4 cup milk


1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce


1/4 tsp. salt


1 tsp. seasoning salt


1 Tblsp butter


8 ounce grated Mexican cheese





Heat overn to 325 degrees. Toss rice, spinach, and parsley together. Add eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Pour mixture into 10x6x1-1/2'; oblong baking dish or 2 qt. casserole dish. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Makes approximately 6-8 servings.


Vegetarian Chunky Potato Soup
I always make something like white bean chicken chili served over spicy mexican cornbread or just a nice good ol' fashioned spaghetti supper with a nice italian butter bread and huge salad with all the fixens! I also like to do a stuffed jumbo shell manicotti. Italian is always a good go to for large crowds. Also, any kind of meat with mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole! Yum....now I'm so hungry for lunch!
CHEESY CROCK POT CHICKEN











6 chicken breasts (boneless %26amp; skinless)





salt %26amp; pepper to taste





garlic powder, to taste





2 cans cream of chicken soup





1 can cheddar cheese soup











Rinse chicken and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mix undiluted soup and pour over chicken in the crock pot. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Serve over rice or noodl
homemade Meatballs with spaghetti served with caramelized onions and goats cheese on Ciabatta bread.





you could also so starters of stuffed peppers or mushrooms?





If your not so hot on home cooking you can buy pre made meatballs. and just buy a Lloyd Grossman sauce. or home made lasagnas always a good one?
Depends on what they like and the time of year.





During the summer months I'll often cook on my grill (seafood, maybe some chicken or steaks or kebabs), while in the winter months that's really not an option.





During the winter I tend to favour something roasted or made in a crockpot.
I like to make seared pork tenderloin with a pepper/garlic crust, roasted red potatoes with rosemary and some type of lettuce salad. Recipe for the tenderloin:


http://www.cooking-is-easy-and-fun.com/s鈥?/a>
My specialty is Chicken %26amp; Dumplings.





If I have veggie/vegan friends over, I'll usually do tofu, rice and bean burritos.
Pork tenderloin with dried cranberries, Boursin Potato Gratin, steamed green beans with browned butter and pecans and a chocolate tart for dessert.
Lasagna is my go to large meal since that what everyone will ask me to make. With a big veggie salad and some warm garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment