Sunday, December 20, 2009

Good Recipes/Cook books?

I am looking for kind of ';young'; recipes, lots of different kinds of chicken recipes, %26amp;%26amp; baking recipes (whether deserts or dinners).





Ex. of what I mean





Homemade subway sandwiches


Chicken tacos


Cherry Cobbler...CasserolesGood Recipes/Cook books?
All of the Rachel Ray cookbooks are good for fresh twists on basic dishes. When I first watched her show, I found her a little over-the-top, but I appreciate the way she cooks. She teaches you methods, not just recipes. You can take any recipe, follow the basic method, but switch up the ingredients as many ways as you like. Rachel's recipes offer a lot of flexibility, and she give great tips for making the dish your own.





As far as casseroles go, old churchbooks always offer cheesy, yummy retro recipes. It's fun to look for these great books at yard sales, etc. They also offer a great look at the history and culture of the area. You can get ideas from these books, then personalize the recipes to your taste, and add modern ingredients.





It's also fun to combine recipes. For example, if you like chicken tacos and casseroles... find a great chicken taco recipe, use the same herbs %26amp; spices and basic ingredients, then layer them in a casserole dish, top with salsa %26amp; cheeses, and bake till bubbling. Chicken Taco Bake. You shouldn't be afraid to experiment and be creative when you're in the kitchen. HAPPY COOKING!Good Recipes/Cook books?
I highly recommend anything by Caprial Pence. I had no idea who she was and was given her Caprial's Desserts by a friend. I have tried at least half the recipes in that book, some are relatively complicated and was really happy with the experience (the peanut butter cookies are a dud, I think she was strongarmed into putting her mom's recipe in the book and something is wrong with the black and white chocolate chip cookie recipie - and I tried it twice) but in spite of that, I am super super super happy with that book. My family is quite familiar now with her pear struesel pie, orange pecan pull aparts, lemon shortbread, ginger snaps...ok, I'm drooling... ...And they think *I* make them...





After exploring her desserts, I went alooking for her other books and have tried many recipies from her various books. They are well written and easy to follow, she explains why things are done and variations so it's more like a lesson than just following a recipe and her creations are wonderful and interesting. Her chicken soup (the one with Madiera and roasted red peppers) is the BEST chicken soup I, or anyone I've ever served it to, has ever tasted.
To answer your baking desserts portion...I have had great luck with Junior's Cheesecake Cookbook. It's got lots of great recipes with a variety of flavors and options for cheesecakes, and though I have yet to try all of them, the ones I have tried have worked out beautifully! They're easy to follow and great for the beginner or advanced baker, too!
I highly recommend you start with ';The Joy of Cooking';. It has great recipes for just about everything, and it's a perfect cornerstone upon which to build your cookbook library!
The American Test Kitchen books are fabulous!
good homes and gardens had excellent recipes.
rachel ray is really good

No comments:

Post a Comment