Monday, December 28, 2009

Do you always follow the recipe 100% while cooking?

........And this is from a professional chef:





NEVER. Recipes are a base, think of it this way:





A blank slate, like a pizza crust:





You can tailor it to YOUR and YOUR families individual tastes. While in BAKING, say cakes and breads, you must be spot on, as that's more of an exacting science than say, making Chicken Cordon Bleu......





Take macaroni and cheese: you can do the basic M%26amp;C, or you can add a plethora of things to it to suit your taste.





Example: making M%26amp;C with several different cheeses, bacon and chives makes that ';ordinary'; dish something that you'll make over and over.





So, recipes, in so far as the ';basic idea'; are great, but experimentation is what the culinary arts are all about.........





As a chef, I URGE people to ';tweak'; recipes to THEIR individual liking and tastes.....





And you'll never know what you can come up with: Who EVER thought that





Cranberry Sauce, Catalina French Dressing and a packet of Lipton Onion Soup as a sauce over chicken, sounds weird??? Try it, it's FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Enjoy~~





Christopher K.








EDIT OK, folks, no more email about the recipe, here it is:





4 ingredients, and it's pretty awsome.....I like it best with breasts, but do it with it with what ever chicken parts you like best........Enjoy!!!!





Baked Catalina Chicken





5 lb. chicken pieces (wings, drumsticks, thighs)


1 can (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce


1 bottle (8 oz.) KRAFT CATALINA Dressing


1 envelope (think: Lipton) onion soup mix





Make It





PREHEAT oven to 350掳F. Divide chicken pieces evenly between 2 (13x9-inch) baking dishes.





MIX cranberry sauce, dressing and soup mix. Pour evenly over chicken.








BAKE 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through (180掳F).





Serve with hot buttered noodles or rice. Side of steamed herbed green beans.....Enjoy!!!








This recipe is courtesy of Kraft Foods Inc.


KraftFoods.comDo you always follow the recipe 100% while cooking?
When cooking I seldom use a recipe at all, but when I do, I change it a little or a lot, depending on how I want it to come out. With baking however, you really have to know A LOT about baking before you go making changes on your own, because baking is basically a combination of chemical reactions that need to be just so in order to turn out right.





The more you learn about cooking, and about basic methods, the more you can ad lib.Do you always follow the recipe 100% while cooking?
I'm pretty hands on, but I do follow recipes in baking as Christopher K. pointed out, as you can't fudge the ingredients at all. It really is a science. And the recipe for the chicken is great, my wife has made it before and we have it a couple time a month. She says it's easy because you usually always have the 3 out of the 4 ingredients listed.
Not always. If I see a recipe that sounds really good, but I know I dislike an ingredient (certain hot spices or jalapenos, for instance). And sometimes I switch one meat for another if I know my daughter doesn't like the one in the recipe (for instance, I sometimes take out the tuna and replace it with chicken or turkey).
the only time i do is when baking since baking is more a science than an art but any other dish i seldom and mostly never follow recipes. they are only a guide and are not written in stone.
I do if it's a new recipe that I haven't tried before. If it's something I have made more than a few times I take the liberty to modify it according to my own taste.
The first time I prepare a NEW recipe, a type I've never made before, yes. If I have made the recipe, or one much like it, I will cook the recipe according to my tastes.
No, it's nearly impossible to do that. I tried to do that but it's frustrating.





Besides, it's great to add a unique touch to the food than following others! :D
i TRY to, but usually I can look at a recipe and figure out what I need to do to change it for my familys taste
After making something once or twice, I might tweak the recipe a bit, but normally it's not much different.
No, but while working out a new (to me) recipe, I keep written notes, so that I know (next time) what worked and what didn't.
only if I agree with how its written


or some of the ingredients


or amounts
The first time, yes. Then I might vary it a bit to my and my family's taste.
no
  • chicago theater
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment